LightAPRS 2.0 is one of the most affordable, smallest, lightest, powerful and open source APRS trackers available. It makes tracking pico balloons, weather balloons, model rockets, RC aircrafts and anything else that flies simple and easy. It is able to report location, altitude, temperature and pressure to the internet (APRS-IS) or direct to an amateur radio once a minute with a solar panel/supercapacitors or just 3xAAA batteries. Because LightAPRS 2.0 is open source you can add your own custom sensors via I2C/SPI pins.
NOTE: This is the APRS-only version of the LightAPRS tracker. If you want the APRS+WSPR version, please see http://qrp-labs.com/lightaprs-w
Information, source code
Official information and source code is on GITHUB: https://github.com/lightaprs/LightAPRS-2.0
- Ready-assembled PCB: all components are SMD and already soldered
- Open Source: Sofware is open. You can easily modify the source code. The source code is shared via GitHub
- Arduino Compatible MCU: Since MCU is Arduino compatible, you can use Arduino IDE and libraries to programme LightAPRS 2.0.
- Extendable: Using I2C and SPI pins you can add extra sensors ( and their librarires) to LightAPRS 2.0 and programme it as you wish.
- 1 Watt Radio: In fact you don't need 1 Watt radio module for balloon projects but for your other projects you definitely will :)
- High Quality GPS: No need to comment :) Ublox is one of the best GPS manufacturers.
- Price: LightAPRS 2.0 is more affordable (125$) than any other APRS tracker
- Software: Open Source
- Weight: 8.1 grams
- Dimensions: 33 mm x 55 mm
- IDE: Arduino
- Platform: ARM Cortex-M0 (Arduino M0)
- CPU: ATSAMD21G18
- Flash: 256 KB
- Ram: 32 KB
- Operating Frequency: 48 MHz
- Operating Voltage: 3.3V
- Input Voltage: 2.7V (min) - 16V (max) via USB or VBat pin (Buck-Boost regulator with power good)
- BOD: 2.7V
- Sensor: BMP180 (pressure and temperature)
- VHF Radio Module: Dorji DRA818V (included)
- VHF Radio Operating Frequency: 144-146 MHz (configurable by code)
- VHF Low Pass Filter: Available (7 elements)
- VHF Radio Power: 0.5W or 1W (configurable by code)
- VHF Power Consumption (TX): ~450 mA (0.5W) / ~750mA (1W) (Automatically selected based on input voltage by code)
- CPU Power Consumption (Sleep): ~7 mA
- GPS: Ublox MAX-M8Q (GPS-GLONASS)
- Gps Antenna Gain: 4.3dBi
- Extended Pins: I2C, SPIm 2x Analog