View the embedded image gallery online at:
QCX: a feature-packed, high performance, single-band 5W CW transceiver kit, with WSPR beacon and built-in alignment/test equipment. Available for 80, 60, 40, 30, 20 or 17m bands. It has rotary encoder synthesised tuning, VFO A/B/Split, Iambic keyer, CW decoder, and more...
The "QCX" is a 5W, single-band, high performance CW transceiver kit with WSPR beacon, and built-in alignment/test equipment. It is available for 80, 60, 40, 30, 20 or 17m bands. See below for the long list of features! This is a kit of parts that you assemble yourself. There are NO surface mount components to solder (two SMD ICs are already factory pre-soldered). We do not currently have any enclosure available for this kit, it may be something we investigate in the future.
Please see QCX Frequently Asked Questions page for any queries you have.
IMPORTANT: SLOW SHIPPING: Note, order volume of this kit was (and is) extremely high. It will take some time to ship out all the orders and the shipment office already have high order volume. Please be patient. Your CW transceiver kit(s) will be assigned a Serial Number, notified to you by email. The serial number of the next kit to be shipped is shown below and will be updated daily. You can check to see where you are in the queue. If your serial number is less than the "next to ship" below, it means the kit is already on its way to you. See the shipping statistics page to get an approximate idea of how long it will take to reach you.
UPDATE: 30-Sep-2017: The 2nd and 3rd kit batches have been manufactured, delivered and are ready for shipment. The shipment office are sending out orders as fast as they can!
UPDATE: 10-Oct-2017: The 40m Components have run out (40m is the most popular choice of band). We are expecting more stock around 20-Oct-2017. Serial numbers from 615 onward, that are for the 40m version, will not ship until around 20-Oct-2017.
UPDATE: 19-Oct-2017: Stock of 20m filter components also ran out, and we are expecting more stock shortly, around 27-Oct-2017.
Next serial number to ship:
Assembly and operating instructions
The assembly document includes circuit diagram and a detailed description of transceiver operation.
Assembly instructions A4 format, CLICK HERE - for world except North America (document revision 1.06, 25-Sep-2017
Assembly instructions Letter format, CLICK HERE - for North America (document revision 1.06, 25-Sep-2017)
Assembly instructions GERMAN, CLICK HERE - A4-format German translation contributed by Peter DL6DSA (THANKS!) (revision 1.06, 26-Sep-2017)
- Easy to build, single-board design, 10 x 8cm, all controls are board-mounted
- Professional quality double-sided, through-hole plated, silk-screen printed PCB
- Choice of single band, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20 or 17m
- Approximately 3-5W CW output (depending on supply voltage)
- 7-16V recommended supply voltage
- Class E power amplifier, transistors run cool… even with no heatsinks
- 7-element Low Pass Filter ensures regulatory compliance
- CW envelope shaping to remove key clicks
- High performance receiver with at least 50dB of unwanted sideband cancellation
- 200Hz CW filter with no ringing
- Si5351A Synthesized VFO with rotary encoder tuning
- 16 x 2 blue backlight LCD screen
- Iambic keyer or straight key option included in the firmware
- Simple Digital Signal Processing assisted CW decoder, displayed real-time on-screen
- On-screen S-meter
- Full or semi QSK operation using fast solid-state transmit/receive switching
- Frequency presets, VFO A/B Split operation, RIT, configurable CW Offset
- Configurable sidetone frequency and volume
- Connectors: Power, 3.5mm keyer jack, 3.5mm stereo earphone jack, BNC RF output
- Onboard microswitch can be used as a simple straight Morse key
- Built-in test signal generator and alignment tools to complete simple set-up adjustments
- Built-in test equipment: voltmeter, RF power meter, frequency counter, signal generator
- Beacon mode, supporting automatic CW or WSPR operation
- GPS interface for reference frequency calibration and time-keeping (for WSPR beacon)
There have been several firmware updates since the 21-Aug-2017 launch of this QCX CW transceiver kit. These provide enhancements and bug fixes. If you have an AVR programmer you can update your firmware using the on-board programming header. The firmware version history and more information are on this page (click!).
These photographs show the prototype kit, both with and without the LCD module plugged in. The powered-up kit shows the radio's Frequency Counter feature measuring the frequency generated by its Signal Generator feature.
Youths On The Air summer camp, 2017
The kit was originally designed for the RSGB Youths On The Air summer camp buildathon in August 2017. Please see http://rsgb.org/main/about-us/yota-2017/watch-our-vlogs/ .
RSGB YOTA Vlog video, shot at QRP Labs booth at Friedrichshafen 2017:
UK team member, Peter Barnes M0SWN, was the first YOTA 2017 participant to complete the QRP Labs CW transceiver kit. We created a short video to show him making a contact with GB17YOTA, the YOTA 2017 special event station, using his completed kit and the quarter wave vertical SOTA antenna he also made during the Youngsters on the Air summer camp. Take a look: